Dear Fellow Members of the Psychology Community,
Welcome to the PSIMA website!
PSIMA’s objective is to develop the field of psychology in Malaysia so that it can make a significant and positive contribution to our nation. We believe that Psychology can help ensure that Malaysia develops in a way that enriches the lives of all people and brings diverse communities together.
The new PSIMA council has taken office this year and for the last few months we have spent time thinking about and discussing the future of psychology here in Malaysia.
For the next 2 years (2015-2017) PSIMA has identified the following priorities:
1. To ensure psychology contributes to the development and improved wellbeing of the people of Malaysia by addressing issues of national relevance including national unity, poverty, crime and mental health.
2. To work with the Government to institute registration for professional psychologists which will safeguard the profession of psychology and ensure a high level of service and ethical practice.
3. To encourage greater cooperation, coordination and partnership among university psychology departments which will raise the standards of academic programs and encourage more research in psychology.
4. To provide continuing professional development for all psychology graduates, irrespective of their areas of practice, to ensure they remain up to date with current knowledge bases, skillsets and professional standards.
5. To inspire, guide and challenge psychology students to prepare themselves adequately for their careers in psychology and to ensure their employability in a variety of industries and sectors.
To help accomplish the goals stated above, the PSIMA Councils have put together an extensive variety of programs and projects which are all described in this website. We want to invite all of you to be part of our psychology community and hope this website will help you engage with our various initiatives.
In your service,
Dr Goh Chee Leong
For full message from the PSIMA President click HERE.